Ingredients: – Serves 8
4 unwaxed lemons
250g caster sugar
6 free-range eggs
200g ground almonds
50g chickpea flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp poppy seeds
4 tbsp lemon juice
115g caster sugar
- Put two of the lemons in a pot of water and bring to the boil, then simmer for an hour until completely soft.
- Drain and leave to cool, then cut the lemons in half and remove the pips.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the sugar and eggs well together.
- Purée the halved lemons with a hand blender in a measuring jug and add to the egg mixture along with the zest and juice of the remaining lemons.
- Now carefully fold in the almonds, chickpea flour, baking powder and poppy seeds.
- Place into a prepared cake tin and bake at 170ºC for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Simply mix both ingredients, prick the top of the cake with a skewer and drizzle the lemon juice mixture over. Leave to cool.
“Want that lovely drizzle a bit thicker? Just add more icing until you get your desired consistency.”